Honey, I froze the car

New York has been having a rough winter in terms of snow, precipiation, and low temperatures. When I looked at the New York Post this morning, they published the amount of money that was spent/lost by the MTA as a result of the last two snow storms. The cover of the paper featured the headline, "Honey, I froze the car." While the ice that covered this car did not come from a storm, it certainly put things into perspective.

Yesterday morning, I had difficulty moving my car from its space due to the amount of snow that had been shoveled/plowed upto, around, and under the tires. Having a car in New York City at this time of year is no easy task.

This week with temperatures in the single digits, we are hoping and praying that the weather doesn't get too bad. Our stuudents need to complete their midterms! So far, we have moved one exam from Wednesday afternoon to this morning so that way we have a better chance of getting them all done before Friday. Today, as I sit proctoring the foreign language exam, I see "light snow" falling outside the window. The librarian gave me this poem she wrote about the snow. It pretty much sums it all up.

AMBIVALENCE
I love snow as it floats down
creating a white and muffled world.

And when by sheer persistence
it makes of itself
an annoyance of inches.

And when to music unheard,
Except for the song of the wind,
It dances
In a swirling fury.

I hate shoveling.

(c) 2008
C. Nepogoda

1 comment:

  1. You made some clear points there. I looked on the internet for
    the subject matter and found most persons will approve with

    your site.
    Take a look at my web page www.catral.biz

    ReplyDelete