Lessons in parenting: Poop!


I never in a million years thought that when I started this blog shortly after we got engaged I would be writing a post dedicated to poop. However, the hubby and I decided we wanted to chronicle our lives together the good, the bad, and the smelly (as the case may be).

Poop is a fact of life. In college, my freshmen RA (a nursing student) gave us a lecture titled “Everyone Poops” our first night in the dorm to make us feel more comfortable. As a new parent, you are constantly watching, waiting, and listening for poop. At every doctor appointment poop is discussed in detail.  Every parent knows that sound (that inevitably comes when you have them all dressed and you are finally ready to walk out the door.)

This post started when the other night our little one needed a bath. He LOVES bath time. The hubby and I were actively bathing the little guy and well…he POOPED, right in the bathtub. I’m not sure who was more surprised the little one or us. So, we took him out, put a diaper around him, and brought him downstairs to the sink where he enjoyed the rest of his bath, splashing and kicking.

One would have thought we would have learned our lesson from the first bath of the evening… Well, not quite.

When little one was done in the sink, we put him in his starfish robe and booties. He just looked so cute so we were taking various pictures to send to his uncles. (Note: Silly me, I did not put a diaper around him.) THEN, I started to smell that familiar smell. Sure enough, the entire robe was covered. New parents: This is when all those towels you got for your wedding come into play because we definitely didn’t have anymore “baby” towels.

This wasn’t the first time we had a bathroom accident as new parents but, this was our first two-floor, multiple outfit, multiple tub experience. We certainly got a lot of laughs and the little one is no worse for the wear. We will be very vigilant the next time we give him a bath…
IMG_1884withwords”/>

3 comments:

  1. I remember a few months ago I went to a lecture at church and my pastor told a story that when he was in seminary one of the priests teaching told the class, "well you know jesus pooped too!" And the whole class was like no way! But pooping unfortunately is a part of everyones life.

    I think it's interesting how babies literally just poop anywhere! Where if I was in the shower and I had to poop I'd just wait but I guess we just become "trained."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that happened to me before! More than once. My daughter is a "surprise pooper," she doesn't give much warning sometimes LOL!

    ReplyDelete