September 11th


September 11th...9/11...

"God of peace, bring your peace to our violent world: 
peace in the hearts of all men and women and peace among the nations of the earth." - Catholic.org

Whenever I hear that date, my stomach turns into a knot. I was a freshmen at the University of Scranton on 9/11/01. I am trying not to relive the day. I am not watching the newscast. I am not reading the paper. This does not mean that I am not remembering the lives lost that day. I remember...

This year is different than the others because for the first time I realize that someday I will have to explain the day to my son who wasn't alive on 9/11/01. I will have to tell him why the streets in our neighborhood have victim's names on them. I will have explain why there are two large pieces of steel from the towers at the beach. I will show him the memorial in our church.

I presume this is one of those things that you just do. You just explain it when they ask.

Today, I am blessed to have my sweet little boy happily playing with his feet on the bed oblivious to all of the hate, crime, and terrorism in our world. It is wonderful to see how innocent his is.

My prayers today are for peace.

O God of love, compassion, and healing, 
look on us, people of many different faiths 
and traditions, 
who gather today at this site, 
the scene of incredible violence and pain. 
We ask you in your goodness 
to give eternal light and peace 
to all who died here— 
the heroic first-responders: 
our fire fighters, police officers, 
emergency service workers, and 
Port Authority personnel, 
along with all the innocent men and women 
who were victims of this tragedy 
simply because their work or service 
brought them here on September 11, 2001. 

We ask you, in your compassion 
to bring healing to those 
who, because of their presence here that day, 
suffer from injuries and illness. 
Heal, too, the pain of still-grieving families 
and all who lost loved ones in this tragedy. 
Give them strength to continue their lives 
with courage and hope. 

We are mindful as well 
of those who suffered death, injury, and loss 
on the same day at the Pentagon and in 
Shanksville, Pennsylvania. 
Our hearts are one with theirs 
as our prayer embraces their pain and suffering. 

God of peace, bring your peace to our violent world: 
peace in the hearts of all men and women 
and peace among the nations of the earth. 
Turn to your way of love 
those whose hearts and minds 
are consumed with hatred. 
God of understanding, 
overwhelmed by the magnitude of this tragedy, 
we seek your light and guidance 
as we confront such terrible events. 
Grant that those whose lives were spared 
may live so that the lives lost here 
may not have been lost in vain. 

Comfort and console us, 
strengthen us in hope, 
and give us the wisdom and courage 
to work tirelessly for a world 
where true peace and love reign 
among nations and in the hearts of all. 


Pope Benedict XI--Prayer at Ground Zero 
New York, 20 April 2008 

10 Years Later
9 Years Later

No comments:

Post a Comment