Tiber River Review: The Truth About Therese

I chose to read The Truth About Therese beacuse I am facinated by other's devotion to St. Therese.  I am by no means an avid theological reader. I found this book to be informative and provided me with a greater appreication of St. Therese's "little way". It was a quick read that provided me with a bit of spiritual nourishment as I learned more about one of my favorite saints. As a teenager, I learned about St. Therese in my Catholic high school and continued to have a facination with her as I grew into adulthood. This book is a wonderful way to continue to learn about the trials and tribulations faced by St. Therese.

I enjoyed Henry Gheon's style of writing. He is very "matter of fact" in the questions he poses to the reader. However, this book was said to be an "unauthorized biolography" of sorts and I feel as though that was not the style of the book. It was factual and informative. It read much like other biographies I had read. I found that while this book was a quick read because of the number of pages the sentence structure made it difficult to comprehend the essence of each statement. I found myself reading and rereading paragraphs to make sure that I understood everything presented in the book.

St. Therese is a wonderful role model for young women.  I feel that this book would serve as a good companion to St. Therese's biography. This book serves as spiritual encouragement for those facing trials in their day to day life. One of the greatest things I took away from this book is St. Therese's way for deal with struggles in a quiet, demure manner. Quiet does not mean weak. Quiet strength leads to great outcomes.

I wrote this review of The Truth About Therese for the free Catholic Book review program, created by Aquinas and More Catholic Goods. Aquinas and More is the largest on-line Catholic bookstore. I receive free product samples as compensation for writing reviews for Tiber River.

No comments:

Post a Comment